Graduate Studies Opportunities in Rural and Regional Broadband in Ontario – University of Guelph

Published by admin on

The Capacity Development and Extension program of the School of Environmental Design and Rural Development (SEDRD) invites applications to the OMAFRA/UoG Partnership Highly Qualified Personnel (HQP) Scholarship for research on regional and rural broadband (ultra high speed internet) development and deployment in Ontario. There is a possibility of supporting one MSc student and one PhD student at University of Guelph working under the supervision of Dr. Helen Hambly, Associate Professor, SEDRD.

The MSc in Capacity Development and Extension (CDE) at the University of Guelph is aimed at students interested in acquiring the theoretical foundation and applied skills for the interdisciplinary field of knowledge management, applied communication, adult learning and leadership and organizational change studies in agricultural, environmental or rural context. CDE is a research-oriented program, designed with two kinds of student in mind: 1) those interested in the scholarly study of knowledge management and learning processes for environmental and agricultural contexts, including rural and remote communities in Canada and/or internationally; and 2) mid-career educators, community activists and communicators interested in familiarizing themselves with the scholarly literature in this field and in pursuing a specific research project. To fulfill degree requirements, MSc students complete core and elective course work, as well as either a major research paper or written thesis. development/cde-admissions

The PhD in Rural Studies provides students with the opportunity to pursue interdisciplinary projects from the social sciences and natural resource sciences. To fulfill degree requirements, PhD students complete core and elective course work, as well as a qualifying exam, and present and defend a thesis proposal and a written thesis. studies-phd

Interested and eligible applicants should contact Dr. Helen Hambly ( by February 1, 2015 indicating the applicant’s interest and GPA (grade point average) for the last two years of university education. If the applicant is encouraged to apply, a full application to the MSc or PhD program will be required and other required information will be sent to the applicant. For inquiries about graduate admissions to the University of Guelph, see

Translate »